Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Poor and I... And maybe You.. (You Decide)

So I was going to work the other day, Was just like any other day. On my way to work and was stuck at a signal with the sun blazing down, when a couple of little kids came up to my bike. On was selling vehicle wipes and the other was begging. I was planning to pick a cloth for my bike anyway, so I decided to buy it from that little kid. Once I did that girl came up to me and started begging, pleading saying how hungry she was, but as usual the way most of us normally shoo them away I did too, she gave me a hurt and angry look but I didn't give it a second thought, the signal changed and I was on my way, I have not seen her since. But that got me thinking. Why is it that we are all so cynical when it comes to beggars on our roads, especially the children and the old. Why do we always think that the money is anyway going to some guy who has put them on the roads. We've also got to realize what would happen to them if we didn't help. Because one way or the other, they are begging to save their lives. There is in every religion and in each of our faiths the duty to help those less fortunate than us. But how many of us actually do it?? This little incident got me thinking of the way I've been and the way I've let others influence my thoughts in such things. I have been so fortunate to be born into a well off family that I have never had to feel such abject poverty and am sure anyone who is reading this has not faced it either. We may not be millionaires, but to those people on the roads we may as well be.

A couple of days later was at a coffee shop and when I left, there was a similar scene in front of me again. And again at first, I did not even react. But then this thought popped into my head and I turned to my friend who was next to me and asked her to give the lady some money.

The Point is this, If ever you feel that you can help someone so desperate and somewhere in your heart something tells you to do it. Please do it. I hope I will they next time my heart twitches even the slightest for someone so poor.

Rahul....

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! I absolutely understand the feeling cause I feel bad for the poor too... but somehow, though I do give money to older people on and off... I somehow feel that giving alms to the younger crowd would lead them in the wrong way and they would continue begging all their lives!!!!!!!

    well... thats my opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which you are entitiled to... Was just bringing out some points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know whether you know or not, but most of the begging lot do not do it because its their survival issue, but becuase it is their employment for more than half of the year. people from the neighbouring states, mostly agri labourers, when their fields go dry, come to chennai with the help of middle men just to beg and all the money they beg doesnt even reach them. it goes to the middle men who far from having a survival issue, are very well off. See as an MBA or even other wise I would expect a value for every rupee I spend. you saw a utility in buying that wipe from the girl. Fair enough! but then what is the value that the poor girl offers you in return. its just the false satisfaction you are helping them but actually you are not. because most of the beggers are forced to beg, because they are bought over from their parents. so it is only when you stop giving alms, you would have taken that small step towards putting an end to this misfortune. Just think it over! :)

    ReplyDelete

What did "You" think?