Saturday, December 18, 2010

Guzaarish - Review

Click the image for the trailer
Guzaarish - A well made movie, but not something that everyone may like.

It's along the lines of most Sanjay Leela Bhansali movies. It's full of artistic expression and tries to convey a strong message. The movie tells the story of Ethan Masceranas a quadriplegic who appeals to the court to permit him to take his life.

Hrithik Roshan plays the role of this once great magician with a wonderful grace. Today, despite being unable to care for himself, he brings hope to a lot of people through his radio program. So when he appeals for the court to take his life, it leaves most of his friends and family devastated.

The cast is supported by strong performances throughout, Aishwariya Rai plays Sophia D'souza, his nurse for the past 12 years who takes care of every aspect of his life right from brushing his teeth to changing his clothes.

There's a deep connection between Sophia and Ethan which is shown very subtly in the movie. But that's not the main topic and it's good that they don't focus on it. They show us how he struggles through his day to day life. The best scene is when his roof starts leaking and there's nothing that he can do but watch the water drip on his head. A couple of scenes in the movie, especially Sophia dancing in a restaurant could have been avoided. It does not add anything to the story and makes you wonder what the point of it is. All in  all, It's a good movie to watch. I'd say 3/5.

The movie tries to address the serious topic of euthanasia with a very delicate hand, showing why someone may actually want to do something so extreme. When I first heard him say, "I want to ask the court for permission to take my life" I thought to myself that it was wrong. I felt that if it were allowed, people would misuse it. But by the end of the movie, I found myself thinking that there was good reason to allow people who cannot help themselves, people who are in unbelievable pain an opportunity to end their lives. I guess I just wont comment on the topic anymore. It's a personal choice.

Rahul

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did "You" think?