Saturday, June 19, 2010

Raavan - Review

Raavan - This inspiration from Ramayana is worth a watch

The trailers of this movie have kept a lot of people in anticipation of another brilliant movie by Mani Ratnam. The movie does not disappoint. You are kept entertained and engrossed all through the 2 hours of the movie.

In this interpretation of Ram and Raavan, Raavan is the most hardened dacoit in town and Ram is the cop sent in to slay him where everyone else has failed. The movie is very differently styled from most other movies I have seen. The colors, the music and the mood of the movie all fit perfectly to create a very artistic movie. Oddly, that was one of the things that I said when I was leaving home to go watch the movie. "I don't really like Arty movies...I don't know if am going to really enjoy the movie". But I did. My mistake. I shouldn't have doubted that the movie would be quality.

But don't get me wrong the movie is far from brilliant. It's a good movie and worth a one time watch at the movies.Abhishek Bachchan tries his best to portray Beera as a mad, dangerous, gentle and at the and of the day a highly conflicted individual. And he does quite well in most regards. There are times in the movie where you really feel for his character. But he really does not have to put his hand at the side of his head every 15 minutes and shout "chaka chaka chaka chaka". It seems a strange way to show he's mad.Vikram, plays the role of the DSP to the best of his ability in his first hindi movie. This modern day crusader for good however is no way all pure. He's shown in very well constructed shades of grey. One felt that he would make a much better Raavan. Which is why I feel the Tamil version may actually be better. We'll let's see. I may just update this post once I've seen that one.Aishwarya Rai actually delivers one of her better performances. She plays the strong and willful Ragini with amazing grace.

Why should you watch this movie? If you want to see something different. Something that keeps you hooked till the very end and see something stunning for the eyes and ears. Mani Ratnam, A R Rahman. Way to Go!

I'd say 3.65/5

Rahul.

1 comment:

  1. different but nice! was way too arty in parts but i still liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete

What did "You" think?